Monday, 20 February 2012

3 boys drown at Sofoline Interchange project site

The Suntreso Police in Kumasi have picked for questioning three officials of China Geo Engineering Corporation, contractors of the Sofoline Interchange project over the drowning of three boys at a project site.

The victims who were between 11 and 16 years fell and died in an open trench at the Kwadaso Under-pass of the Sofoline Interchange Project on Saturday.

The entire Kwadaso Township has been thrown into a state of mourning following the death of the three youngsters.

They have been identified as Richmond Osei-Sakyi and Kwabena Osei, both 16, and students of Bethel and Prempeh Junior High Schools, respectively.

The third victim was 11-year old Yuslar Mohammed, a student of Mount Olivet International School.

One other person, Paa Joe, who survived the tragedy, had been playing with his colleagues near the under pass.
At 5 p.m., they attempted to wash their feet in stagnant water when Mohammed slipped into the deep trench.

Osei-Sakyi and Osei attempted to rescue their colleague, but they also fell into it.
Personnel of the Fire Service had to pump out several tanks of water from the trench before they could retrieve the bodies.

The lone survivor, Paa Joe, told Nhyira News though he and his friends had been playing football there for a long time, they never knew of the trench because there is warning sign.

Assemblyman for Kwadaso North, Eric Assibey, and other residents blame the contractor for failing to erect warning signs to ward-off pedestrians.

“It was a sheer negligence on the company that dug that hole because they were supposed to fence it. They were suppose to provide a warning because we know in construction whatever hole you dig, you have to protect it”
He wants the law to take its course as he prepares to meet with the deceased families.

“For now we are heavily hurt so we are thinking about what we can do for now”, he said.

Meanwhile officials of China Geo Engineering Corporation have declined comment because the consultant is not available.

But the Suntreso police say statements would be taken from several witnesses.
District Crime Officer, Nana Kwadwo Nkwantabisah tells Nhyira News investigations have began into the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment